Thursday 11 December 2014

Seán's Story

Seán is one of our members and we included a shortened version of this story in our recent (November 2014) Newsletter. 


My name is Seán. I was born into an Irish family in New Zealand. We lived on a farm where we worked long hours milking cows every morning and night. For this I got very little credit and no respect. In fact I was often told I was lazy. My people would make up rules and regulations and after I would follow them, they would change them to suit themselves. This made me angry sometimes and left me with very low self-esteem.

At the end of November 1999 my life got very dysfunctional. I had moved to New Orleans. I had a job but couldn’t find myself a place to stay. I seemed to be always getting into controversies with people. Also at work I would get involved in things that were none of my business. Even my girlfriend asked me if I was on drugs.

For a week I ended up sleeping in the back of a van on the street. Then I was in a homeless shelter which was much better. On the Saturday morning I moved into a place called the Abstract Café. It was run by a High Court Judge. He ran it for alcoholics and drug addicts. He asked me if I was an alcoholic. I said I didn’t think so. He then asked me ten questions about alcohol addiction and I said yes to every one of them.

For the first week I had to stay in the tank. I was only allowed to go out to work. It was alright during the day time, but around nine o’clock at night, I would get the shakes and the sweats. Then I would start seeing staff that were not there and then came the cravings for alcohol. It was so bad I thought that if I didn’t get any drink I would die. The door was locked at nine o’clock every night so people could not go out drinking. The sad part about this is I would have gone and drank if they had let me out. I believed it wasn’t really drinking if I didn’t drink on Friday or Saturday nights but went for one or two pints during the week. I thought “I only drink beer, how could I be an alcoholic?”. I didn’t drink spirits or methylated spirits like alcoholics do.

After a couple of attempts to give up drinking, it was seven months later before I finally accepted I was an alcoholic. The first three weeks after I stopped drinking were the hardest, but the more I stayed off it, the easier it got. Also I gave myself a big pay rise -  I seemed to have plenty of money for everything. As the months passed, the bad days were better than the good days I’d had the month before. I started to go to AA meetings. At first I thought that I wasn’t as bad as these people but the more I went to the meetings, the more I realised that I had a disease. In the AA meetings I heard the truth about this disease, and that I’m not the only one who has it. A lot of people helped me, help that I needed but didn’t think I deserved. One thing is that none of us deserves this disease.

I am fourteen and a half years off the drink now. I don’t get hallucinations, the shakes or blackouts. I don’t feel isolated or feel sorry for myself.The AA meetings are a big help. I am better able to take on responsibility. The AA meetings have encouraged me to take on additional responsibilities which I wouldn’t have felt confident in doing before like taking notes at the meetings. I now have confidence in myself to do things. Instead of doing nothing except complaining and expecting someone else to solve my problems.

I am more the person I always wanted to be, i.e. a human being who is capable of taking things as they come. I now try to help others in a better way. I first ask people what they need and want and then I see what I can do. I don’t try to impose solutions as I would have done in the past.

I see more room for improvements but I now realise how far I have come. I feel good now and able to cope. I feel I am able to deal with life on life’s terms. I don’t feel I have to be the centre of attention or a hero. I can just be me.

-Seán

Blog Archive